A new scheme introduced by Halton Borough Council in Cheshire will offer residents the option of a fixed cost funeral. The overall fee will fall below the current national average, reports the Council.
Almost a third of families blocked organ donation because they felt the process took ‘too long’.
BBC 5 live found that organs from 505 registered donors in the last five years couldn’t be used because of objections from relatives.
The Department of Health is holding an open consultation on the proposed Human Tissue Bill, with submission open till the 9th of October. Here are the details:
Government approval was received in July for the drafting of a Human Tissue Bill.
The proposed legislation will include, amongst others, provisions, on:
· Post mortem practice and procedures
· Anatomical Examination/Education & Training
· Public Display of Bodies after Death
· Organ Donation and Transplantation
The PEAI executive board is preparing a submission document outlining the potential impact of this bill on embalming practice. It is important, that you as an individual have your say about the proposed legislation also.
The ‘Opt Out System for Organ Donation’ proposed in this bill, will have an impact on post-mortem care. As it stands, only internal organs are available for harvesting. However, the bill does leave room for more organs to be added to the list. It is foreseeable that in time, human bone and skin will be included in this list, thus having a significant impact on embalming practice. However, it is important to note that this bill is still in the early stages of development, and such an impact will not be immediate.
Click HERE to learn more about Human Tissue Bill and have your say on proceedings.
To anyone familiar with the funeral industry it should come as no surprise that fees have risen well above the current rate of inflation in most locations for yet another year. The map below shows the most and least expensive parts of the country for burial and cremation, alongside the national average and the country-wide percentage increase from 2016.
Read more HERE.
The Health and Safety Authority (HSA) has launched a short, interactive on-line course on Chemical Safety in the Workplace. The 30-minute course is free and can be accessed through the Authority’s e-learning portal, http://hsalearning.ie. The course is aimed at employers and employees, including supervisors and health and safety representatives, in any sector where chemicals are used.
Read more HERE.
BeSMART.ie online risk assessment tool has recently been extended to include embalming as a business type. This will assist our members in complying with their legal duty to have a workplace specific safety statement and written risk assessments in place.
Europe is experiencing a high level of deaths due to cold weather as icy temperature prevail.
With more than 20 people dying because of the cold it’s expected that this number will only rise further. Ten people died of cold in Poland on Sunday.
Most Irish people continue to believe in life after death but many don’t see the Church as the only path to salvation, writes Dr Kevin Myers
#Help2MakeSense, an online tool and campaign, has been launched to help bereaved young people make sense of their loss.
Recent News & Events
- 27 Oct 2017Council reveals plans for low cost funeralsA new scheme introduced by Halton Borough Council in Cheshire will offer residents the option of a f...
- 27 Oct 2017Almost a third of families block organ donationAlmost a third of families blocked organ donation because they felt the process took ‘too long’. BBC...
- 22 Sep 2017Open Consultation on Proposed Human Tissue BillThe Department of Health is holding an open consultation on the proposed Human Tissue Bill, with sub...
- 19 Sep 2017AGM and General Meeting NotificationNotification of AGM and GM have been sent to all members through email. Nomination form for the elec...
- 12 May 20172017 Cremation and Burial Cost IndexTo anyone familiar with the funeral industry it should come as no surprise that fees have risen well...
- 25 Apr 2017HSA Launches a free chemical safety in the workplace online courseThe Health and Safety Authority (HSA) has launched a short, interactive on-line course on Chemical S...
- 25 Apr 2017General Meeting- 06 May 2017PEAI General Meeting- May 2017...
- 16 Mar 2017HSA- BeSMART.ie Assessment Tools for EmbalmersBeSMART.ie online risk assessment tool has recently been extended to include embalming as a business...
- 12 Jan 2017Cold weather deaths rise (Source: www.funeralservicetimes.co.uk)Europe is experiencing a high level of deaths due to cold weather as icy temperature prevail. With m...
- 12 Jan 2017Death in contemporary Ireland is a complex matter (Source: Irishcatholic.ie)Most Irish people continue to believe in life after death but many don’t see the Church as the only...